[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Misc. Neon Stuff

> My understanding (or should I say misunderstanding) was that the secondary
> when parallel to the non-midpoint grounded, tubes would  have the same
> potential difference which I interpretted as 15kv for example. Are you
> saying that if I stick my finger on the center point of this circuit I won't
> feel hardly anything?

This is true.  If each side is balanced, the center of the circuit is at
or near 0.  In reality your meter will usually show some voltage - often
up to 50 volts or such.  I guess this is from slight irregularities that
unbalance it like gas pressure, minor differences in tube length,
capacitance, etc.  But very little.

> >there is no center tap connection to the secondary you simply have a
> >"self-balancing" condition where the 0V. potential is allowed to "find it's
> >own center".  I think that this method is easier on a transformer because it
> >would eliminate a potential imbalance (due to slight loading differences)
> >between the secondaries IMHO.  Again,  a lot of what I learn is stolen from
> >other technologies and there is an uncanny relationship between the audio

Now this is a point I am confused with too.  Why would "grounding" this
central part of the circuit be better than letting it find its own
ground?  Is this in case a tube fails the circuit will have less footage
at high potential?

  -John