[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Misc. Replies

John,

 You are quite the source on lab work. Please don't e-mail the rest of the
discussion on that apparatus. I am enjoying the discussion even if it is a
little removed from the neon thing. It is on the far reaches of glass work for
sure.

 One thing about the merc drops and the cold.  I find that a lot of benders
tubulate in the middle of the tube.  That is OK except that the mercury will
condense there because it is cool spot and eventually there will be simply an
argon tube which is quite dim as you know.  I usually check there to see if a
tube was pumped merc when they bring one in for repair.

 I like the shallow ditch idea on the edge of the table. Guess that will be
another of those small projects.  We try not to lose any drops at all costs
but every once in a while...  nice to know they can't go far.

 As for lead glass volatilizing, the term in this case is fume. As I said, we
had a pretty lengthy discussion on Compuserve Glass forum about this subject
and when I get back I will espouse on it unless someone jumps in first which
is ok with me. Someday my wife will let me get a laptop ...yea, RIGHT!

 >> and I know many older neon folks that were much more careless during their
carrers. Most of
 them are okay.  <<

 Funny part about the interview for that article. When I got the first draft
to proof read it said that all the old benders I knew died of asbestos
exposure. What I said was basically what you did. I said that I DIDN'T know
one that died of asbestos yet. Somewhere it got turned around.  At least I got
to set it straight.

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 04-Oct-1995

!^NavFont01F000FIGHHJ7CIJD7HKD9E7CD