[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sulphur source, mercury clean-up

>>> Where can I get "flowers of sulphur" for cleaning up spills?<<

Local grocery stores here in the Austin area sell powdered sulfur.  It's
ususally in the OTC drug section, next to iodine, saltpetre, etc....

Consider powered zinc instead.  I have experimented with sulphur, and it
only forms a "skin" over mercury droplets.  This may reduce vapor pressure
until the droplet is distrubed, but my experience with zinc is much better.
Zinc amalgamates with mercury more vigorously, forming tiny "rocks" that
can be disposed of easily.

There are many better amalgamaters of Hg than sulphur.  Silver is such a
good one, that the product is safe enough to spend a lifetime in your mouth
as a tooth filling.  I have heard that iridium is the most vigorous of all,
but it's probably needlessly expensive.  I have also heard that making a
slurry from a caustic (like lye) and sulphur improves the clean-up
properties.  Don't know much more about it though, only that some
commercial Hg-clean-up products are alkaline sulfides.

But powdered-zinc definitely works great.  I got mine at a "chemicals"
supplier locally that I found in the yellow pages.  It was inexpensive.
Places that sell chemicals are a bit paranoid these days, so be prepared
for a short interrogation the make sure your not synthesizing drugs.  After
they find you're a neon shop wanting to amalgamate your Hg waste, you'll
have no problem!  Get the finest powder (mesh) they sell.  I doubt purity
is that important.

    -John Anderson