[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mercury amounts & repairs

>> As for how much Hg to put in a tube my vote goes:
 indoors: (except for the smallest of tubes) enough so that the Hg just wets
the inside dia. of the 5mm tubulation glass
 outdoors: (inSC) twice that.
 Cold climates: add third drop<<

  That reminds me. If you follow this suggestion, we have a good way of
getting the mercury into the trap. We have a rubber squeeze bulb (from the
same scientific supply place Tom mentioned) that attaches to 7mm glass. The
glass is actually a 7mm piece spliced onto a 5mm piece. On the 5mm piece we
attached about 2-3" of blowhose tubing. We attach this apparatus to the end of
the tubulation that contains the mercury and squeeze. That way, the mercury is
safely pushed into the trap (without blowing into the end or using something
to push it that could keep a small amount of merc on the end).

   I don't know what you people use for this, but this works great for us.

  E-mail from: Chris Biebel, 20-Feb-1996