[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Wanna-Be

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Jeff Foster wrote:

> > Once you have joined, you are requested, as part of the subscription
> > process to send a brief message to the group introducing yourself and
> > detailing your interests.  Members who do not meet this minimum
> > requirement within two weeks of joining the group maybe unsubscribed
> > without notice.
>
> Have been lurking around here for a while and sure don't want to be bumped
> ... so here's a quick introduction of myself and a hello to everyone.
>
> I've been interested in learning how to make neon lamps for quite some time
> and hope I can learn something by hanging around this list!
>
> We used to have a guy here in Quincy, IL that bent some really good signs
> but he moved on some time ago - his last name was Einhaus, don't remember
> his first name but think his brothers name was Eddie. Went and talked to
> Eddie @ Einhaus Signs about 1986 as to how I could learn how to build neon
> lamps. He said that he'd tried to get his brother to teach his son how but
> he wasn't interested in teaching anyone. Eddie ended up sending his son to a
> school near Kansas City, I think the guys name was Blazeck. I'm thinking he
> said that although the guy was a good sign-maker he wasn't that good a
> teacher; didn't spend enough hands-on time showing how to make the bends and
> splices.  (Not trying to insult anyone here, this is just my recollection of
> the conversation.)
>
> Anyway, I had just started a decent job in electronics with a local
> manufacturer and was trying to put my wife through college so I couldn't
> afford to take off for a week or two to go somewhere to learn it and
> couldn't really afford the approximately $3k that Einhaus said he paid for
> his son to learn it so I gave up trying.
>
> The desire to learn the art hasn't left and so here I am dreaming of
> learning how to build neon lamps again!
>
> Any tips on where to start greatly appreciated!
>
> Jeff Foster
> jfoster@bcl.net

Hello Jeff:  I hope I can give you some info that will direct you into
this new venture.  The first thing I can tell you is that you really have
to carve (Thanksgiving term) out about a 6 to 8 week minimum time period
and go to a good school where you can learn the art.  The days of
wondering into the local neon sign shop and learning from the ole' timer
are long gone.  Frankly, I would be reluctant to teach the trade to anyone
who is going to set up shop in the same town.  There is much work out
there but that really would be cutting the teachers own throat.  You
really have to pack up your belongings and go to a school.  I found that
once in  the business, the ole' timers are very free with info and help..
to a point. During your training period, you will find that what you learn
will depend on you and you alone.  Even the best teacher out there can't
help you make bends 8 hours a day.  They typically will show you and
watch you and give you advice when needed.  If you are still having
trouble they will run through the bend again.  Filling tubes, mounting
techniques, and the other aspects of the trade is another subject.  That
training will depend on the experience of the instructor.  When I
started,  even before I started, I had no intentions of building the BIG
outside sign.  My business is set up so that if I need the BIG outside
sign, I will sub out to another sign guy(non-neon) and have them build
and mount the "can" along with the neon.  I hope this gives you some
guidelines to follow.  Let me tell you, the beginning is not easy.  You
will go through piles of clear glass learning the trade.  Not to worry,
it will come....
Regards,
Howie Cohen
Utica, NY