[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Lead free cont'd

Message continuation...

 The lead free glass that Tecnolux will be selling is a  soda- barium-
strontium glass and so I asked about those compounds.  I'll simply paste the
reply I got from the safety person ( actual title is industrial hygienist )...

 >>My real concern is replacing a known hazard with another.  Any thoughts on
 >this?<

 Except for strontium chromate, there is no TLV for any strontium compound
because it is just not very toxic.  Sometimes we old folks get confused
because we remember when some atomic reactions created a radioactive form
 of strontium which was getting into the food chain.  But normally,
 strontium is not radioactive.

 Sodium compounds also is not very toxic unless the radical to which the
sodium is attached is a nasty.

 Barium is toxic, but a long way from lead.  Take a look at some TLVs

 substance               TLV-TWA mg/m3

 Nuisance dusts...............10 (compounds of strontium, sodium, etc.)
 cristoablite (fired quartz)...0.05 lead..........................0.05

 While barium is not a "non-toxic" thing, it is such an improvement over lead
that this new glass could be very good. <<

 I think it could be a winner.  Maybe my brother Chris will chime in with a
second opinion since he tried it before me and works the glass more than me
now anyway.

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 04-Nov-1995

!^NavFont01F0016MGHHGCFMGD0HJFFMKHHK821FD1