[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Jelly Beans and more!

The power supply I use is built in the following manner.  The ideas
are based on fairly well known circuit ideas (I public domained one circuit
diagram in 1981). This is not a balanced working model. It's a prototype
for exploring solid state supplies since it does many things under different
circumstances:

A 555 chip drives a power NPN. Frequency range approx 500hz-1khz.
The duty cycle (non-diode version) prefers the high stage as small as
possible but can tolerate it the other way as well.  I have a pot
that fine adjusts the high pulse and a larger pot on the second stage.  I drive a small
(5W is a good starting point) audio speaker transformer (can you get
these anymore?) hooked up in reverse i.e.  the thin coil (which is usually
just 1 turn). Switching is from ground (the reverse works as well).  You can get
quite a wallop using a car ignition coil instead but you should trade
your transistor up to a horizontal frequency power NPN.  At that
point you may as well also start playing with higher frequencies and
flyback coils.

I see the above as pulsating DC causing an AC output by virtue of the
harmonics that are generated (somewhat similar to a Tesla coil). But this
area is not my strong point. Perhaps Tom and/or Telford could comment.

Anyway, monkey around with the controls - and this is one way to
 get jelly beans (particularly in small diameter tubes.)

Kenny

> On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 Kenny@NeonShop.com wrote:
>
> > Whew! Jelly Beans can get complicated sometimes.
> > I just figured we had a resonant circuit causing standing waves.
> > I've created jelly beans using middle audible frequencies 500hz-1khz
> > and can get them to flow one way or another by varying the duty
> > cycle.
>
> Interesting!  Dan mentioned that attempts have been made to produce
> jellybean-based neon chase effects, but the tube characteristics drift
> too much to make this reliable.  Anyone have experience with this?  If
> there was a great demand for a neon chaser, it might not be impossible to
> add some sort of feedback to a high frequency supply to stabilize the
> motion effects.
>
> "jellybeans" appear in DC Geisler tubes in the form of the "striated
> column", the discharge that fills the main part of the tube.  I played
> with them in a 1in diameter tube.  They appeared as a stack of disks, like
> evenly spaced glowing quarters.
>
> I suspect that the main discharge in any gas tube is always composed of
> jellybeans, but the AC voltage sweeps them back and forth so fast that
> they aren't perceptable by humans.  Unless those humans sweep their eyes
> rapidly back and forth, whack themselves repeatedly upside their heads, or
> mount their gas tubes on motorized rotors and light them through slip ring
> connections.

> William Beaty  voice:206-781-3320   bbs:206-789-0775    cserv:71241,3623
> EE/Programmer/Science exhibit designer        http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/
> Seattle, WA 98117  billb@eskimo.com           SCIENCE HOBBYIST web page

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web