[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Jelly Beans and more!

>Hey folks, I was talking to a brilliant friend about the Jellybean
>effect and dark spaces etc, and he sent me some ideas that I thought
>some of you might be interested in.
>Here goes the discussion--

I just remembered what I was trying to think of about "jellybeans" being
Self-Organizing Phenomena.  Turbulence!  Air turbulence is self
organizing, and its behavior is all full of Chaos and Fractals math.
Another one is the chemical communication between animal skin cells
which
create fur color patterns, even though individual cells only follow some
simple rules and only "talk" to their nearby neighbor cells, complicated
fur coloration patterns appear.

The one that has direct bearing on plasma striations is stream bed
sand and turbulence.  A constant flow of water, when it goes across sand
on the stream bottom, creates ripples in the sand.  It happens because,
if
the sand did NOT ripple, the water would flow faster and faster until it
broke into turbulence (swirls and eddies), and the swirls would kick up
sand in some spots and pile it up in others.  Instead, the sand and the
water "talk together" and "agree" on a particular structure of sand
hills
which slow the water and make it wiggle as it flows.  The wiggling then
digs up sand in lines and piles it in rows.  ANd the sand rows in turn
wiggle the water.

Once you notice this behavior, you see it all over the place.  When you
rub your hands together hard, you make little black rolls of dead skin,
right?  Those rolls are somewhat evenly spaced and are of somewhat equal
size.  Same effect as the sand ripples: the rolls push harder on your
skin, and the hard pushing makes dead skin build up on the rolls, and
the
skin/rolls communication ends with an "agreement" to build a certain
pattern.

The sky is full of this same stuff: patches of rippling clouds.  Two
masses of air move across each other, and where they touch, "dead skin"
cloud ripples appear.  Dirt road "washboarding" is similar.  An
interaction between cars and soft road surface.  Ocean waves come from
the
same thing.  When air moves across water, a patch of ripples "catches
fire," slowing the wind and humping up the water.  Lots like the ripples
in the sand, but with extra mathematics which create continuous motion.
Slow wind creates closely-spaced waves, fast wind creates long one.

All of this stuff is too complicated for a human mind to grasp.  It's an
interaction between gazillion sand grains and water molecules (for
example.)  All we poor humans can do is say "See those ripples in the
clouds?  See those waves in the ocean?  Those dead skin rolls on your
hand?  Same thing."

And then smile knowingly.

I'm convinced that the neon sign tube positive column striations, "jelly
beans," are created by a flow of electrons moving through non-flowing
gas.
The electron "fluid" moves faster and faster until it reaches a
particular
velocity where it hits gas molecules so hard that it causes ionization
and
light output.  But this slows the electron stream, and might slow it
down
so much that the gas goes dark.  Which then lets the electrons speed up
again.  But rather than creating a fast on/off flashing, the repulsion
fields between electrons are also involved, and this lets the "electric
fluid" talk among its various parts, and arrive at an "agreement" with
the
gas where it breaks into orderly rows of fast electrons, glowing gas,
slow
electrons, and dark gas.  Since this is alot like water waves and sand
ripples, the glowing beads of lit gas might crawl along, or they might
sit
still, or they might tear forwards at half the speed of light.  They
might
flow along in the same direction as electrons, or they might go the
opposite way.  And their behavior would depend on all kinds of differing
microscopic characteristics of the gas molecules, pressure, nonlinear
behaviours, gas impurities, temperature, mental radiation from nearby
human brains, nonlocal connection with the atoms in nearby galaxies, god
knows what else. [Possibly literally? ;)  ]

Pretty cool, eh?  Almost as cool as the MOVING sand ripples I
occasionally
see after heavy rain, when there are smooth streams of water in gutters
and going across dirt and sand.  Humps appear in the dirt.  But very
often
the humps will MOVE UPSTREAM slowly.  Very bizzare looking.  Which leads
me to wonder: since waves in the water are NOT just wind pushing water
along, but are really a self-organizing "spatial/temporal oscillation"
which grows from give-and-take at the interface between air and water in
relative motion, it wouldn't be unexpected if water waves moved
backwards,
AGAINST the wind.  I wonder why they don't.  And I wonder why they don't
sit still, like the sand ripples in the stream bed.

If you want me to pass on anything to my friend Bill, I will be glad to
act as messenger.

until then,

Seattle Dan and Bill B.