[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: electronic transformers

> This failure might be caused by the straight forward design of the driver:
> there is NO feedback from the output to the driver, so nothing regulates the
> power put into the transfo depending on the power consumed by the tube.

This is the most common shortcoming of all electronic transformers on
the market today.  While there is a form of feedback in the so-called
'self-regulating' transformers, this is primarily derived from the
break-over voltage.  Power monitoring is usually in the form of a
thermal breaker.

> Another case happens at low input voltage: don't try to run the RS12-S at
> voltages lower than 12V. It will start parasitic oscillation causing the
> MOSFET to run hot (swallowing more than 600mA) and immediate burnout.
> The tube gets darker, but the power input goes up at lower voltage put in.

yup

> - Just cheap design.

yup

> Someone with similar experiences?
>
> Marcus Thielen,
> University of Duisburg, Germany
> Student in the lab for low temperature physics.
> Doing Neon art as pure amateur in my parents garage with all equipment
> homemade.

Kenny
Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web