[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Radio interference on new install.

Ted,

Don't know if you've tried these yet, but here a few suggestions that pop
in my mind:

Isolate each transformer and see if the interference is one or both of
them.  The irradic on/off action and the report about smoking remind me of
something I observed once.  I've seen electrode connections that appeared
really well-twisted together actually make a bad connection.  It would
"smoke" briefly, and eventually the heat (arc?) seemed to weld the
connection together (making a good connection), though this was not
visible at all upon inspection.  It ran fine after that.  I have no good
explanation, other than some sort of coating/corrosion on the wire, or
perhaps a conductive contaminant?

If you suspect anything like this at all, you might try lightly soldering
each trode connection.  I do this on occasion when I suspect lots of
humidity/corrosion (like a place down on the river here in Austin) .  I
use one of those little butane soldering irons, and just do the ends -
leaving enough wire to allow easy replacement if needed.

 -John