[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

new shop continued

Tom, John, et al..

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great information.  Fascinating to
hear all the different points of view, and everything has been very
useful so far.  One of the first books I got was a reprint of the 1935
_Neon Signs_ (S. Miller), and I was amazed to see how little technology
has changed in 60 years.  Then last weekend I spent some time with a guy
who has been bending glass for *70 years* (yes, seven-oh!) and got quite
a dose of the old and the new.

Back to the new shop department, I saw my propane man today and we figured
up a scheme where he can put in the pipe for the fires at very low cost,
and I can still run the rest of the house off the existing setup.  Since
the shop will have its own regulator off the high pressure line, I should
think 3/4" pipe ought to handle everything...especially since my 120,000
btu furnace is using only 1/2" and is on the same line with the water
heater and stove.

The air regulator plans are fabulous, and I had to chuckle when I read
that the commercial model was $100 and went back to the supplier.  That
seems like part of the fun of all this--finding ways to beat the "if it's
a factory service part alignment and seating tool, it's $79.95, but the
same item labeled as a 16-oz hammer at Ace Hardware is $6.95" system.
Obviously that can't apply to everything in a neon shop, but I've seen
enough to keep my bargain-hunting antennae up at all times.

Cheers,

JD

--
J.D. Schueler