[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Getting started

I've been monitoring this group since it's conception, and I think I might
be a little older than most of you guys.  It brings back memories of when
I first started working with glass back in the late 50's.

I was hired in a production shop and trained on the job by a gentleman who
had been working neon for many years.  This was a 20 man shop that did
mostly beer signs.  In those days we worked a lot of our bends in the
ribbon burner doing as many as six bends at one time.  The slide in the
ribbon burner would be special made for the letter we were working on.  It
would have cut-outs that would allow just the right size flame, in the
correct location to make several bends at one time using a jig made of
metal or graphite.  For instance; take the letter "E".  The glass would be
heated in five areas to make all the bends at once.  A plunger was used to
support the raised area for the "double back".  This is not what I learned
at first.  I had to go through all the suffering and pains that you guys
have endured to learn to make one bend at a time.  We were making about
200 letter per day back then.  It go boring after a while but it was some
of the best training I ever had.  You really get to where you can control
the glass doing it this way.

I worked for this company for about 10 years and then went with a research
lab making pyrex apparatus.  Again I was trained on the job.  But the
experience I had with neon made the job a whole lot easier to learn.

During this time I became interested in art work with glass, and taught
myself what is referred to as "spun" glass.  Three years later I was good
enough to sell my product, quit my job and for the next 7 years traveled
the US, showing, making and selling my work.

In 1979 I went to work for a semiconductor company making items out of
quartz.  Today I operate a one man shop in NC.

To get back to the neon and my love for it, about 10 years ago I started
working at a part time job in the evenings making neon.  I continue to do
this and enjoying it very much.

But in closing, to all you new benders, HANG IN THERE. It's not easy, but
it's very rewarding.

Jim