[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gauge wars

Yikes!  I didn't come here to get in a war, folks.  Let's end
this.  Here are quotes of what I've said, and none of it is the
way some have made it sound out of context...

First thing I said was...

****

"You can produce great tubes that'll last a lifetime with nothing
more than a mechanical pump, a tight manifold, a power source and
strips of newspaper."

****

This is a statement of fact.  You can.

********

Next, in response to someone who was having problems (i.e. I was
trying to help someone out...)

****

"Do you use newspaper, or a temp gauge?  I ask because it's my
opinion that gauges vary and can  be misleading, what you need is
a =relative= means of measuring your temperature.  In other words,
if whatever you use indicates the same things at the same
temperature given the approximately same conditions (and to within
a few degrees) it dosen't matter if there's a dial on it, then at
least one variable is covered...and YOU should be the ultimate
gauge.  If you are using a temp gauge, I suggest using newspaper
in addition to the gauge and seeing what happens. With it, you
know that when A happens then X is the situation.  Newspaper just
dosen't malfunction.  Also, with it, you are watching the tube and
not the dial on a gauge. (For those who have never used newspaper,
it should be at least a day old.)"

"In the same vein, it's also my opinion that your eyes should be
on the electrodes during the final stage and not on a gauge.
Their appearance will tell you more about their condition than a
gauge will.  You can see them breaking down."

****

Speaking to the above...first thing to notice is that I've only
advocated using newspaper in addition to a gauge and not to the
exclusion thereof.  Secondly, while there are some small variables
between the temps at which various papers will burn, among all the
newspaper I've ever used, there was less variation than some
gauges I've seen (nearly 100 degrees in one case and less in
others.)   Newspaper will not be that far off, no matter what you
do.  This is why I've said that newspaper dosen't malfunction,
because it will be within a certain range no matter what the other
conditions that effect the immediate are are.  Frankly, neon ain't
rocket science, and the margin of error on bombarding temps is
fairly wide.

Also please note that I have identified all of the above as my
opinion.  And please do remember that I was speaking to one
individual although the entire group recieved the post.  The part
about keeping one's eyes on the electrodes during the final stages
of pumping was advice to one particular person who felt they might
be degrading the electrodes to the point where the metal thereof
was effecting the powder in the tube.  Nobody else should feel
that I was speaking to them.  OK???  Anyone else going to jump all
over me here?

********

Morgan...

Comparing my method of pumping neon with dropping cowpies on the
tubes?  Sorry, them fish ain't biting.  If I hadn't spent the last
several years moderating the Beer Board on Prodigy where we have
plenty of guys like you who like to intimidate newcomers, I'd
probably back off...but I am fairly flameproof by now.  There are
as many ways to bend and process neon as there are glassblowers
and pumpers.  I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, I
expect and even welcome that...but oblique references to notes
I've written which imply I've said things I haven't (not to
mention that my methods would make bad neon) are not things I care
to let slide, at least not at the moment.  Once we get to know
each other better I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable ignoring
you, at least if the relationship continues to develop along these
same lines.

Bettina