[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: gauges

Ted, I know very little about Templac. I have not heard about Templac or
thermo-crayon being effected my any thing comming off the tube except for
heat.  I'll try to check into it more though.
 By chance a rep was in the shop on fri.  We ended up pumping with: (one
type) thermo-crayon (green), two different mfg's clamp-on thermocouple
gauges, three different mfg's IR gauges, and two types of paper.
Conclusions: I need a third eye in my forehead.
The gauges all had a number that understood exactly what it meant.  The
thermo-crayon was consistent and did let you know when the tube was going
through that 160 range.  It can be difficult to clearly see the "color
conversion" with the tube lit, but is ok.  The papers were different from
each other, and wouldn't do anything until the tube was over 200  (past when
I needed to up the amperage and lower the pressure).  I will admit that from
each pge of paper I used there was consistency.  However, you could probally
drop a cowpie on the tube and it might smoke or change color too.  But just
like different papers being made out of different stuff, the cows eat
different grasses and even though one particular cowpie might be consistent,
you could not find consistency from one cow to another.
This is my point:consistency and repeatability.
Yes I can work with paper, and do in other peoples' shops.  But if the point
is to put out the best glass possible, it is simpler to refine the pumping
process through consistency and repeatability, which in my mind means gauges.
Morgan