[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: gauges

Morgan, you're not alone in your pro-gauge opinions.

Having worked both without and with a "full" gauge setup, my own two cents
is that I'd never go back to doing without. The only exception to this I
make is my temp indicator gauge -- I use white butcher paper, from the same
roll for years now (ah, consistency!) and have a electronic clamp-on gauge
to hook up if I want to either confirm my "char" level or if I'm trying
something new. I also used temp crayons from Eurocom for years and found
that they basically did the same thing: confirmed my paper-char readings.

As for Pirani: never again without. As for dial-indicator backfill gauge:
same. And no Bettina, I don't watch just the gauges, I watch the tube and
glance over occasionally to confirm what I'm watching, or if something weird
comes up they tell me a lot quicker what that "weird" might be...

> the company
>that I am most familiar with will recalibrate any gauge they sell at no
>charge - you only need to send it in with a return number.  I would be
>suprised if other mfg's don't do the same.

Masonlite charged me $275 to repair a $400 gauge gone out of calibration; it
took 9 months and many pestering phone calls to get it back (and I was in
Holland at the time and getting many regular shipments of materials from
them -- it 's not like I was so very far away!).

-Ted Pirsig

ps
What about the point I've heard that all temp crayons / paints are thrown
off by the bombardment process? Can't remember if it was the UV or the
electrical field; haven't done any of my own research on this.