[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: small tube filling pressures

Morgan wrote:

>> in fact I have a 20 mm 4
>> foot tube that was fill by opening the new red gas bottle and letting as much
>> in as will go (guessing around 3/4 atm); it runs hot and never stops snaking.
>> It is little different in light output.

My physics too are less than keeping up w/ the tube pressure discussion,
but I'm curious about the snaking phenomenom.
--Why is it that such a high pressure of gas creates this effect?  Some
tubes I've played w/ by putting in high gas pressure seem to just create a
well defined, fine line inside the tube.

--What is happening when snaking occurs in other units that are processed
in the "standard" fashion?  And why, if it does occur, does it stop during
aging in?

--Would voltage and MA of the transformer have any effect on the above
mentioned unit or is that irrelevant?

--I'm also wondering about the mention of adjusting pressure for smaller
units.  Several people on the list have mentioned it & I'm wondering about
the reasoning from diverting from the charts.

Always curious & would appreciate feedback.
On & on
Tom