[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: red 8 mm tube pressure

>Actually, Morgan, that's a separate issue entirely. The reason the auto brake
>lights are at a higher pressure is the same reason that flashlamps, for
>example, short arc flashlamps and arc lamps have pressures up to 20
>Atmospheres of Xenon, because in discharge lamps there is a principle that

Ahh xenon.  That brings up something I'd like to toss out...

Has anyone experimented with xenon, or krypton?  It would seem to me that
either would be a better carrier in an Hg tube than argon, since they
inonize easier (at least by themselves).

I can buy high-purity krypton here in town for about 20% less than I'm
paying for argon-mix in glass flasks.  Xenon is more costly, but the same
supplier has high-purity 7 liter cylinders.

I would surmize that both Kr and Xe would allow use of a lower voltage
transformer for a given tube?  Is this right, or would the addition of Hg
negate any of this?

    -John