[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Eyewear for neon

I'm in the process of getting an answer from my source on safety and
industrial hygiene on the question of eye protection for neon.  In going over
the posts so far I am surprised at the concern for UV and not IR which is what
is more prevalent in torch work.  I believe the phosphor excitation that was
mentioned when in proximity to the flame is caused by thermionic emission of
electrons from the torch fume.  I don't think that there is enough temperature
in a gas and air flame to cause UV emission although as I said, I am getting
an expert opinion on that.

 As for myself, I don't wear glasses except when working soda lime or pyrex
when I use the didymium glasses to cut the sodium flare.  For hot glass work
welding glasses of a shade of 6 are the recommended eyewear but it would be
much too dark for neon work.  I think that there is concern for glass
shattering in the eye as well.  I'll continue on this some more (I'm getting
"lets go" glares from the wife).  So......

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 12-Nov-1995

!^NavFont01F0006MGHHJ]8A33