[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

howlin' ribbon burner

Anyone got any ideas on how to muzzle my ribbon burner? It's only when I hit
the oxy footpedal that a howl erupts, but it's a severely loud howl. I'm
tempted to answer the phone "Freight Train Neon!" on my curvier days around
here...

It's a standard Voltarc-Hyde 16" w/ economizer...oxy is fed seperately via
the "bypass" valve and footpedal-controlled solenoid valve (custom rigged,
obviously)...operating at 38,800 foot elevation above sea level...propane...

I've tried stuffing various baffling into the main chamber, to no
effect...it only does it when I'm running pretty hot, then add the oxygen...

I've never been happy with the way this torch runs (six years is a long time
to be unhappy with a torch!) because the heating is uneven left-to-right and
without the addition of oxy it's nearly impossible to get a
properly-adjusted flame that won't darken the glass.

David, doesn't TecnoLux sell an Italian ribbon burner? I've heard glowing
(no pun intended) reports from the various European sign show Americanos
about how well these work...

All for now,

-Ted Pirsig

ps
Val is pounding away on the other 'puter in the corner: our next (and final)
Neon News really will hit the streets before Christmas...