[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More diff pump discussion

Ted, the vacuum gauges I'm refering to are thermocouple gauges.  The ones
that seem to last the shortest length of time seem to have several things in
common: they are in areas of the country with high heat and humidity, they
are used to check every tube (rather than a couple of times a day to check
for specific problems) (having said that, even if you expect your sensor to
last only a year or so, maybe is is good economy to check every tube to find
problems before filling and simply add $75 to your yearly opperating
expenses), they are not left under hard vacuum when not in operation.  Beyond
these things, I have no idea how the thermocouples are being cared for - or
not cared for as the case may be.  I work my equipment pretty hard, but I
don't think I abuse it.  I think you do the same.  But I've seen manifolds in
at Transco for repair that you cannot see through (and they are Pyrex).
As far as through-pumping metal diff pumps goes, like I said, the Edwards
reps have stood in front of my manifold and me and said not to - that it
wouldn't work.  Even with 704 or 705 silicone oils it would break them down.
 I believed them.  I guess I sholdn't have (well that's what this list is for
isn't it?).  I think I'm going to set up yet another manifold and I am
leaning toward through pumping a metal pump; at least it will be a learning
experiance.
If you would please have your used oil annalyzed, comparing it to a new
sample of the same oil, it would be most educational for both of us.  I payed
about $40 to have mine done last time.
Morgan