[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:Re: Diffusion Oil

Mark, when your vacuum gauge sensor starts to die, it will give you higher
and higher numbers for your lowest reading.  Yes this is very confusing, and
until I understood this, took apart and put back toghether more stuff than
you would believe.  Measuring the vacuum on every tube might let your sensor
last only 6 months or so; on the other hand it might last 6 years or so.
 From what I've delt with, high ambient temp and high ambient humidity kill
them the fastest.  I have no idea why, but the company that I deal with has
replaced more sensors in Texas, Fla, Lo, than in the rest of the USA.  On one
hand the sensor is still useful for figuring drift rate (perhaps it's most
valuable ability), and if you understand that whatever number it gives you as
the lowest, will still let you know if ther is a leak in your tube while
pulling down (ie: it won't get to that lowest number).  Personally, I don't
check vacuum on every tube.  I only use the gauge first thing in the morning
to check ultimate vacuum, or I'll go back and check ultimate vacuum if a tube
comes off weird, or I'll check if I hear scary tinking noises/see funny
colors while heating a tube.  These things make for a long lived sensor.
Morgan