[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Warranties?

Warranties?  I give a 2 year warranty on retail work (1yr on wholesale).
This is mainly a function of what the other shops in town are doing.  We
were all giving 1 year until recently.  After I kept hearing: "the other
two shops I called said they give a 2 yr warranty..." enough, I upped it
to 2.  It's extremely rare that I have anything come back, so it's mostly
a selling pitch.

As to helium flushing...  I experimented a bit using helium as a flush.
While in theory it seems benificial, I am unable to make a qualitative
judgement.  I generally have very good success with tube cleanliness,
and I don't really have a good comparison of flushed/non flushed.

I know minute amounts of hydrogen have additional benifits beyond those
of helium alone (the reason nat. gas removes Hg stains).  I think I read
somewhere (Eurocom advertisement?) of a flushing gas with a trace of
hydrogen added.  Again, other than sounding good I don't have any
evidence to support its use.

When I worked at UT, we used a hydrogen furnace to treat certain metals
before sealing to glass.  The metals seemed almost surreally clean after
such a treatment. I have often wanted to incorporate this action in some
way to routine processing, but have not figured a safe/practical/economical
way.

Tom - elaborate on your "manifold side" stopcock.

     -John Anderson