[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Which is correct?

When I pump a white tube and fill it with argon and a ball of merc in the
trap, I look to see what color the unit is when I first hook it up to a burn
in transformer. I believe that the unit should be dull grey with a pinkish
color emitting from the electrodes. If there is a bright blue color and some
length of white at the end opposite the tubulation, I believe you have not
got an entirely clean unit. I had a discussion with another person in the
industry who feels that the light blue and length of white is mercury from
the trap backstreaming into the tube and is actually better than the totally
dull grey look. Lets hear from the experts in this area. Bettina...this
should be right up your alley. I am actually using the sight and color to
verify that I have a vacuum guage that is not reading correctly. When the
guage tells me I am at10 or 13 Millitorr and my units come off dull grey with
no blue or white for any length in the tube I believe the guage is not
telling the truth.

Don Stone (wallerneon@aol.com)