[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Bombarder Sizes

John - it was Ted (in an early issue of Neon News) who described the double
voltage switch.  However, it worked because his bombarder transformer is a
reworked power pole unit, with a center-tapped primary.  As such, he can apply
240 volts across 1/2 the primary winding, resulting in greater output voltage
(limited by magnetic core saturation).  This works because (1) power pole units
are grossly overdesigned (can survive lightning strikes, etc.) and (2) your
choke protects you from any core-saturation effects in the transformer from
doubling the primary voltage.  I'm not sure I would try this with a regular
commercial bombarder transformer  (if for no other reason, a lack of a tapped
primary).  I don't think it would tolerate a significant secondary voltage
increase (an expensive failure!).  I also agree, 40KV on the bench is too scary
for me.  Talk about arc-through problems!  How thick can you get mica, anyway?
Teldord Dorr

p.s. your assumption is correct: amps = KVA / KV.