[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bombarding safely

At 08:03 PM 1/22/96 -0500, you wrote:

>The other hand (left), as Tom alluded to, should probably be upon your lower
>spine. Nikola Tesla (Ah, a subject we haven't touched on yet in this group)
>demanded this of his assistants - the idea being the least dangerous path to
>ground - it avoids the heart.

Old Nicola was right!....I would not use a two handed "dead man" switch
for any high voltage equipment, (the operator could literally become a dead
man) no matter how the switches were "connected" to the main load....

When both hands are on such a device the path for the
current is DIRECTLY across the HEART!....I would advocate a one handed,
other hand in the pocket (pref. the back pocket, ala Nicola) system, standing
on a thick rubber mat that is approved for operator isolation when working
with high voltage equipment.  Ask any electrician about this (or any doctor).

Also, it would make sense, if you are going to ground the manifold, to place
the grounding electrode as far from the operator as poss.  10-20kv has a
nasty habit of arching anywhere it wants to no matter what....

Just my .02 on this important safety subject.

/\/\ike Roesch
Belovir Studios
313 Belvoir Avenue
Chattanooga, TN  37411