[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Misc. Disc.

 >> Um, are we talking one-liter GLASS flasks here? Or metal bottle
 gas-transfer, with higher quantity? <<

 You are right.  I musta been on my 3rd. beer by the time I was posting stuff.
 I was referring to the 25 liter cylinders and you were not.  It helps to
READ.

 >> So, you start with plain old air in the tube, then what -- when hot,
vacuum that out and backfill with nat. gas? To what pressure? What kind of
milliamps on the bombarder? Are the stains coming out in one bombarding  cycle
then? <<

 I start with natural gas as though it were air and then pump normally ( open
stopcock for me ).  When it reaches heat I flush it with more natural gas and
a quick bomb to heat trodes.  Sometimes it takes a few flushes to completely
eliminate the staining.  It has to be done with the flash from the bombarder.
Just flushing alone won't do it.  I guess it needs the extra catalytic action
of the plasma.  Yes, the stains (catch word here) ALMOST always come out in
one bombarding.  I don't remember the last time it didn't work.  But I don't
do merc repairs very often either.  A few times a year at most!  I used to do
it just like everyone did.  I also used asbestos paper, etc.

 >> When were you there? I have a friend on Oahu, Kirk Tunningle, who came out
 of there oh, 10-12 ? years ago. Good program from what I hear. Is Fred
Tschida still teaching there? <<

 I was at Alfred from '75 to '80.  I was Fred's first student assistant.  We
always had a love / hate relationship.  Fred is still teaching there.   One of
his student teachers from '90 is getting married to my brother Dave.  Her name
is Amy Hoff.  I don't know Kirk but there are a lot of students that come out
of the glass program there.  It is a very good foundation for glass work of
all kinds.... and of course, ceramics.  I was there when Dave Ablon was a
student.  As teaching assistant, I had to show him the ropes.  It was a
co-effort if you know Dave.  We still talk often to share ideas and such.  He
helped with some of the design principles I use on my manifold.  I am glad he
finally got his ruby glass made.  It was a long quest for him to get someone
to make it again.  He never gave up and hopefully it will pay off well for
him.  I like the Technolux glass a lot.  But he won't give me a break on the
price.  Something about partners<g.>.

 Fred never was real strong with electrical side of the neon and I always
found that his students needed some more electrical understanding for their
own safety.  But I learned a lot from Fred and always liked him personally.

 >> My favorite solid states on the market are by Alanson, TFT, and Bertoni.
Alanson 9ks are particularly reliable except for the annoying overload/ground
fault cutoff circuit which I guess is helpful. An interesting model from
Technolux Italia will be hitting the market here soon <<

 I've used Neonix solid states but the protection circuit won't allow more
than one transformer in proximity to another.  It has some sort of stray field
sensing circuit that cuts of one or the other transformer.  I also heard a lot
of complaints of failures although I haven't had a problem with them in that
regard.  The new Bertoni scripter works well - powers around 30ft.  The TFT's
worked well together but I had a string of them go out with a large bulbous
heated area on the secondary due in part to a tube in the series that had a
micro-leak from phosphor in a joint. ( I believe ).  They just failed to light
but the bulbous part worried me a bit.  My favorite was Tunewell.  They also
had a string of failures which I think was some sort of thermal cut-out that
was probably set a little too low.  The units would come back with a little
drilled-out filled-in area on the bottom and then no problems with them.  No
adjustments for dimming, etc. though.  They are supposed to be coming out with
a new one ( stuck in UL... where else? ) At one time they were the best out. (
IMHO ).

 >> Yes, there is a web site at http://www.neonshop.com which features an area
for neon shops and artists to either add links or store a home page for free.
The Neon FAQ is housed here (it's in its infancy and seeks contributors).  <<

 I am also working on a FAQ.  When it is finished maybe some of the info can
be combined.  At least I know what the FAQ usually are.

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 05-Sep-1995

!^NavFont01F0012hHXHHYhH4BHH4CHT63FAED