[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

blowers

Dan,

Your spa guy is right - if you're setting up a full-blown shop (no blower joke
intended), a spa blower ultimately won't cut it.  But then, with the work volume
of a full shop, what's $600?  For part-time use, say 4 hours at a shot, the spa
blower will work fine.  Be aware, as the saying should go, 'You don't get what
you don't pay for'.  The spa blower won't give the same life as a regular
commercial unit.

As for plumbing, I don't use any ballast tank at all.  I use a home-made bypass
regulator.  It consists of a wooden spool shaped to fit semi-snugly inside a
piece of 1-1/2" PVC.  The spool is tied to a weight via a piece of stiff wire
(gas welding rod).  As the pressure builds up, the air lifts the spool up the
pipe, which uncovers slots cut in the pipe, which bypass the excess air.  I have
mine set for 2 PSI.  If you have back issues of the Neon News, there's a
complete drawing and description in there (date unknown - I can look it up if
you're interested).  I use 5/8" garden hose as air line to the ribbon and
crossfire.  The hand torch runs off valving on the crossfire stand.  With all
that running at once, I still have plenty of bypass air.

Good luck.

Telford