[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Water Based Block-out (some more)

Well I finally scored 2 quarts of water based block out.  I never did get
any of the Transco stuff though.  Even with Transco calling my distributor
directly about it.

Anyway, I am both pleased and concerned, and I hope some of you others
who are using the stuff will add something to this.

It covers well, and I was able to brush on a single thin coat with no
holes.  It's thinner than the regular stuff, and will drip easier - you'll
definitly want to make arrangments for it to dry rightside up (on blocks
or such).

It goes on thinner (though it does cover in a single coat) than oil
based.  It dries to semi-matt finish.  I can't decide whether I like this
or not.  I would estimate that 1 quart will cover considerabley more than
a quart of the other stuff.

Any oil smudges on the glass will cause a small hole that you cannot
cover no matter what.  So you have to keep your hands sort of clean, and
not eat fried chicken for lunch.  It cleans up well when wet with cold
water, and effortlessly comes out of a brush or off your hands.  When
dry, it _seems_ to stick tennaciously to glass, and is not easily cleaned
by any method.

It looks, paints, and smells a hell of a lot like satin-gray latex house
paint (any chance this is what it is?)  It doesn't fill your shop with
nasty fumes, and the label says:  "non-toxic".

I like it, but I have no idea how durable it is.  My greatest fear is that
I'll get a call after 9 months complaining about the blockout flaking off.
My luck it will be a job I made almost no money on, and I'll break the
unit removing it from the sign.  The next moment I'll remember I have
dozens of other such units out in the field, and I'll get a quezzy
feeling.

The stuff has been around for awhile, so I would expect that it is
somewhat reliable.

     -John Anderson