[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bending Machine

>Had conversation last year with the head of manufacturing for EGL, who
>advised me that EGL had gone through the exercise of evaluating automation
>vs. manual production and had come to the conclusion that people were cheaper
>and more flexible than machines when you consider the amortization of the
>equipment and the continual maintenance costs. They finally went back to the
>people approach and scrapped the machines.

        I agree with you.  The reason I brought up the bending machines was
that I was using a cheaply priced "OPEN" signs to get in to talk to the
business owners and sell him more expensive custom signs.  The custom sign
making won't be replaced anytime soon with a machine but how about the
millions of "OPEN" signs or "REDDOG" signs that are appearing all over.  Now
if someone calls me for a "OPEN" sign red letters - blue border, I tell them
to go to Sam's Club.  There is no way that I can compete with the $60 - 100
price that they sell them for and I am hoping that by being honest they will
come back to me when they want something custom made. Then they can't
understand why it costs more for a custom sign.  They want to pay the $15 -
25 per letter that they got the "OPEN" sign for.  It always seem that you
can't win.

                                                                Ron
                                                                neonron@ncon
nect.net