[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: air reg

Al Hooton wrote:

>         Folks,
>
>         Since the question of air regulators has come up again, I
> figured I'd post this.  The attached GIF shows what I've done for an
> air regulator, that's working very well.  None of the ideas here are
> mine originally -- a number of folks on the list forged this ground
> long before I got here.  I simply found that several people had
> asked for more information on what I've done.  Since I had drawn up
> a picture of my particular solution, I figured a few more might
> find it useful, considering the price... 8^)=  The big breakthrough
> for me was discovering that 1.5" underground sprinkler plastic pipe fits
> very nicely in 2.0" underground sprinkler plastic pipe with just a
> slight sanding.
>
>         Attached is a GIF file.  I've scaled it such that most
> folks should be able to view it in a Netscape browser without scrolling
> (you may need to make your browser full-screen if you've got a 640x480
> display).  It also should print and at least be useable.  The original
> format is Corel Draw 5.0, and I could export it to other useful things
> like WMF, so if somebody would like it in a different format, let me
> know.  FYI, the WMF format is a touch over 100KB.
>
>         Some notes to go along with drawing:
>
> - Make sure the slot starts high enough up the inner tube so that it's
>   completely covered when the outer tube is resting on the loop of
>   rubber tubing.
>
> - My biggest mistake was getting carried away with the slot(s).  Definitely
>   start with one.  If you see the outer tube wants to ride too high, or your
>   minimum pressure is still too high, add another narrow slot.
>
> - The loop of rubber tubing is mandatory, at least in my setup.  The
>   outer tube hammers once or twice before settling down, but it always
>   settles down now (as opposed to before, when it would just keep hammering
>   away...).  The rubber tubing cushions the outer tube when it comes down.
>   It's also important because it helps the outer tube rest such the slot
>   is *just barely* covered.  This helps to alter the dynamics going on at
>   startup so the outer tube doesn't get into a state of harmonic resonance
>   in it's motion, which is when you get non-stop hammering going on.
>
> - After experimenting with some weight I got a length of angle iron,
>   figured out how much I needed, and cut that much into 4 identical
>   lengths.  These are (at the moment) duct-taped to the outside of the
>   outer tube.  Once I'm 100% convinced everything is working correctly
>   I'll attach them some other way.
>
> - This thing is pretty loud.  The air comes whistling through the slot at
>   a pretty good pace.  I've got my blower and regulator mounted in my attic,
>   with a 2" PVC pipe coming through the ceiling down to the air manifold
>   under my bending table.  You've been warned...  8^)=
>
> - Low pressure air guages are hard to find, at least for me.  However, I've
>   got something that works OK: a low-pressure tire guage usually used by
> [...]

Al,
You really need a pat on the back for that .GIF file.  That, I am sure,
will help all those that have been asking about regulators.  I have a
similar device however I built a trap door kind of thing similar to the
flappers that are on big diesel engines.  A few rubber bands put some
tension on the flapper.  It works well.  The flapper may be another way
to accomplish the same thing.

One again, nice picture.

Howie Cohen
Just Neon