[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Need pumping advice...

> In my search for a new employer I am sure to come across manifolds using a
> 'roughing pump', D-pump and a final vacuum pump.  As I am only familiar
> with a single pump, can anyone give me some insight on how to pump with
> one of these systems?

Sean,

The idea of the two pumps is that you use a separate pump (the
"roughing" pump) to initially suck down the tube, maintain pressure
during bombarding, etc.  This is when the large quantities of junk are
being released.  The second pump (which is probably backing a difusion
pump) is opened during the last stage, after you've bombed.

So, consider such a system identical to plain one.  The exception being
that you will open a different stopcock (the one to the dif pump/backing
pump) during the final evacuation after bombing.

(Does that make sense?)

     -John