[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Secondary Ground Fault Protection

Not being one who gets in the middle of controversy (hah) it seems
that this whole deal with SGFP points out a major flaw with the
process of improving and enacting code.  (Jeff, where are you these
days?)

Over the past 2 years I have slowly awakened to the NEC changes
mostly from the alarm published over the apparently difficult
modification and likely changes in installation methods.

I am not clear, for example, as to whether or not I will be able to
install a reliable midpoint grounded circuit with SGFP.   Every time
it cuts out because the range is just too tight - will I have to go
to the site and reset it?  Obviously it will be impossible to perform
the simplest arc to ground test to see if a coil is burned out.

Okay, so we'll adjust - but what will really happen is that in the
real world, I can guarantee for at least the next few years while
there are still non-complying ones that haven't yet sold, that 99% of the
installations will not comply.  Those of us who might want to try to
comply will be penalized by the extra cost and time.  Even just
having to explain it to the client will add additional hassle.

My complaint is that the process that enacted this provision clearly
happened in a vacuum.  I imagine it has been documented, but I'm
curious about who put it on the table and why, and how the discussion and
feedback went.  You say that Allanson wasn't included in the panel
discussions.  I hope at least one major manufacturer was.  Seems to
me that all should have been.

Even Microsoft, Sun, Apple, and Netscape sit around a table (the WWW
Consortium) to help figure out where they can cooperate so that the
standards don't become an utter mess for everyone.

Does such a body exist for the transformer manufacturers?  Why not?

On another point, I  was contacted by UL just as the installation manual was
finalized. I was hastily interviewed about solid state and SGFP and it
wasn't as if I was really given specific questions to reply to -
yet it wouldn't surprise me if my comments exist somewhere as a
basis for something - where all I mostly did was listen and ask for
more info.  I know UL and NEC are very different - but
somehow I wonder if they don't suffer from the same problem that many
large corporations have.   Namely, administrate from the top down
rather than how it should be - from the ground up.

It would not surprise me in the least if there were not some
knowledgeable and committed inspectors and ahj's  who were also
omitted from the NEC process.

I have no desire to get into the company vs company vs NEC vs UL
situation at all - though it does sound wierd - and I hope y'all can
straighten it out so that we can go on selling neon.
I think there should be greater cooperation at making this
issue accessible and workable for the end user.

Kenny

> Hello listers,
>
> I am writing this posting regarding a very serious and important
> issue facing all of us:  the implementation of Secondary Ground
> Fault Protection into the 1996 National Electrical Code.  For
> virtually everyone working with neon, there will be some impact.  I
> hope that you will take the time to read it.  I will indulge your
> patience, it's a little long.
Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web