[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: dimming stage neon

Kenny,

>>>Right, I think that's similar to what I was saying in my last post.<<<

It was.  I didn't see your post until after I wrote mine.

>>>Still, what I have thought would be useful is a conventional dimmer  that can
be mildly tweaked backward from the zero crossover.   Most stage audio noise is
easily corrected as it usually is from improper  choice of transformer, improper
wiring or insulating techniques,  or a problematic tube.  The more difficult rf
noise on wireless mikes, if it occurs, is as the dimmer is  being brought down
to the lower end of it's range.   My primative thinking here  is that we are
getting mostly low current spikes which we may as well cut out  sooner.<<<

Probably true, but neon transformers are a difficult load to deal with,
electronically.  I think the biggest problem is the neon acting like a
transmitting antenna, radiating out the arc-strike noise each half cycle.
Aren't those wireless mikes FM?  I thought they were supposed to be fairly noise
insensitive.

For Eric: how about designing those solid state transformers to optionally take
a standard, isolated, 0 to 10vdc brightness control signal?  This could be
easily supplied by any of a number of dimming controllers.

Regards,

Telford Dorr