[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: dimming HPF

Dave,

>>>National Cathode Corp. in New York dimmed HPF transformers regulary with
Variac dimmers. Putting the correct size cap. in series [parallel???] across the
primary of a NPF should make it a HPF. On the Tecnoservice transformers (a
TecnoLux company) the Cap. is on the lid with the primary disconect . Change the
lid, change the power factor. David Ablon<<<

I stand corrected. I had not considered the variac method for dimming HPF
transformers (per my reference to "switching" dimmers).

As an aside, I thought most manufacturers did their PF correction by using an
autotransformer type primary winding in order to use a smaller capacitor
(physically, value-wise, and $-wise.  Your statement implies that they just drop
a cap right across the line terminals.  Is this impression accurate?

Regards,

Telford Dorr