[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: color checker??

>For one thing, it seems that
>these Mineral Lites are of short wavelength and won't pass easily through the
>wall of the neon tubing. For any results at all, we had to point the light
>into the open end of the tube which caused a mild fluorescence. You can't
>tell much about the subtle variations in color however.
>Jeff Golin

Jeff-

Won't this be the case with any UV source?  The glass in the neon tube
blocks the UV, but excites the phosphor.  Isn't that what allows us to look
at the tube without harm?  Any UV source used to check the color of a tube
will have to be placed by an open end of the tube then, eh.  A higher
wattage UV bulb, I would think, will help brighten the "subtle variations."
Am I on or off here?

Tom U.