[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- vacuum vs. jumping into the fray

Opps,
Dear Morgan,
now monady morning back in my office - what dump of mail..

> >Vacuum pumps.  Buying refurbished.  Welch 1402 versus Alcatel, say 2004 or
> 2008
> >models.  Are there any strong recommendations one way or the other?  Direct &

Welche are not familiar in Europe, but of all other in our lab experience,
Alcatel is the best, sturdiest and easyest to maintain in good working order.

> >belt drive issues were covered some months ago, so I'm mostly interested in
> >specific comparisons on the other features of these models.  Is one better
> than
> >the other to buy as a rebuilt?  Some other points to compare that come to mind
> >are things like:
> >
> >-frequency / ease of maintenance
When running 'round the clock lets say every 2 years it'll take 2 hours
for gasket replacements and oil change.

> >-anti-suckback featurs
>
> All direct drives that I have run accross have, all the belt drives I have
> run accross do not. (I am very curious if anyone knows of belt drives that
> do).
My old (1967) Japan electron optics pump has one. Never failed.

> Having said that, all you need is a vent valve between the belt drive
> pump and the main to avoid any problems.
>
> >-operational noise levels
Question of frequency. Mostly direct driven ones are louder.

> >-adaptability to different manifold systems

The ISO Kleinflange standard will give no problems.

> >-availability and price of parts

Best experience with Alcatel (less than 1 week for more than 10 year old
pumps). Bad with Edwards, worse with Leybold, worst with Balzers.

> direct drive parts are much more rare and cost much more
>
> >-life expectancy if bought rebuilt
>
> having been an advocate (and I still am) for direct drive pumps, it is
> difficult to find a shop that is worth a damn to rebuild them.

Alcatel itself offers it, doing a good job.

> Not only is
> it expensive, but the quality of the rebuild (aka what the pump will pull)
> varies greatly from rebuild to rebuild - probally more so than belt drive
> (which people have been rebuilding for eons).
>  Does anyone have any reccomendations for quality direct drive rebuild
> companies?

Only Alcatel. Bad, Bad experience with Balzers/Pfeiffer... :-((

Marcus