[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Sintering and burning

Ed wrote:
>The sintering process I was refering to is just that. Baking the coated
>glass to bind the coating to the wall
>of the glass tube and remove any trace of the binder itself. I am pretty
>sure that if the glass is not
>outgassed in the oven it will take the bombarding procedure as oppurtunity
>to further outgas and/or sinter.

I imagine after oven baking, it's unlikely that further outgassing or
sintering needs to take place, right?  They sure pump "clean."

>Indeed I am implying and that precoated neon glasswork will bomb much
>better if >baked the evening before bombing. I have done this many times
>in Holland and >the results are amazing. I'd bet the cow, not the whole
>farm, that this >procedure makes a much cleaner tube.

If you won't, I bet Dirk will bet the farm, maybe the whole country. ;-)
And the results do speak for themselves.  In my experience, I've not seen
cleaner, brighter (for longer periods of time, too) looking tubes than some
of the Dutch neon. (Insert photo of Dirk grinning like a proud father,
here.)

>Once the tube is baked the only other potential moisture and contaminents
>come >from attaching the electrodes and condensation. Compared to the
>moisture from >bending these are minimal. If are are fortunate enough to
>know the Dutch >Technique you can easily see the advantage of baking any
>neon glasswork prior >to bombing.
>
>In the future of my company one goal is to employ an oven. At this point I
>>think I would still use pre coated tubes, I would rinse them with
>distilled >water after bending, gently air dry them and bake them prior to
>troding and >bombing. However a more realistic goal is climate conrol and
>air quality in the >shop. Has this been discussed yet? I hate bending
>glass when it is humid...not >good for the glass coating or the
>glassworker.
>
>Peace.

So, you would do baking prior to electroding.  I guess it would allow more
contaminants to escape the unit if baked before electroding.  Could
"standard" electrodes hold up to this, though, if you wanted to do it after
or doesn't that make any sense?  Is the only way to do bake
post-electroding to have an oven pumping system?  I'm wondering this as I
saw the shop that does the oven pumping doing it, obviously w/ the 'trodes
on and I'm wondering if completed units could be baked, then electrocuted,
er, bombarded.

Tom U.