[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- More on annealing

Tom U replied:
It was really amazing to watch the guys at Neon Lewa in Holland.  Their
glass almost never touches the table.
Reply from dirk,
He Tom, you was there, change that almost never into never. Nobody can
notice that the patterns the bender worked on (with?) were used patterns.
No burn outs on the pattern.

Tom Biebel wrote:
So we settle for
>what is an acceptable amount of stress and try to eliminate as much as
>possible by using common sense heating and cooling techniques and knowing the
>idiosyncrasies of each glass type.
Reply from dirk,
Dear Tom, I don't think that any stress, not even the slightest amount, is
acceptable for a neon unit, as it will brakes sooner or later but most of
the time sooner.

Tom continious with:
So, I guess I'm curious, in your knowledge, is this kind of care
specifically required for the characteristics of soda glass or would lead
glass benefit from this kind of treatment as well?  I'd also add that the
time they spend is very different than the time we spend here in the States
and their torches really make it quite easy to anneal in this way.>>>

Yes Tom the tfree feet long soft annealing flame can do the trick, but to
answer the above question I want to tell this list that the COE of the lead
glas you are using is 95 (x10E-7/per unit length) and the sodalime we are
using is a 96. Do you realy think that there is a difference? There is ectially
no difference between a tubbe of 95 and 96. Same stress when unproper annealed.

BTW Tom, nice reply, and I give you that together with my
Best regards, from
Your friend dirk.