[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- legal rubber boots

EclectiKat@aol.com wrote:

> >used.  Masters Technology products are CSA
> >approved for WET locations.  That is exterior, in the climate, outdoors,
> etc.
> >CSA is a NRTL, recognized by OSHA, NEC, etc. and probably even the FDA,
> >CIA, FBI, and the EPA.  But who knows.  Again, they are the only "rubber"
> >(and Herb hates it when I say rubber, because they're not) approved for
> >outside, in the weather use.  They are currently attempting to get everyone
> >of
> >the NRTL to accept the to others standards.  His pamphlets state the UL for
> >damp and dry locations.  Somewhere they show CSA approved for wet.
> >

> Excellent research, Gary. But I want to ask one silly question that will
> probably vex some of you. What relevance is there in a neon sign doubleback
> which is surrounded by air, a GTO connection, if wet with or without a cover?
> In other words, what are the actual safety issues concerned with here? Is it
> only the problem of ensuring the safety of the sign installer/repairman? Or
> is there somehow a fire danger from having the electrode voltage exposed to
> water?  Why is a cover necessary, in actual fact, if not potentially exposed
> to any metal surfaces? I do use pyrex G-Cups, but have seen a lot of other
> signs that have survived for a long time outside without any coverings at
> all, and while I don't like them they somehow seem to last anyway, although I
> hate to admit it. Masters Tech connectors may be water tight as well, but
> they are so tight that they are very hard to install on an electrode
> sometimes without breaking off the electrode. We had this same problem with
> G-Cups too when they were first introduced and you were supposed to use that
> darned O-Ring that didn't fit and didn't work anyway. When you install
> channel letters, you don't worry about the neon inside getting wet, you
> assume it does and provide a drip hole for the water to drain out of. If you
> simply assume that the rainwater will always flow down and drain, as long as
> it doesn't accumulate it is safe. Same is true for boots, isn't it?
> Does anyone have any practical experience with failures of this nature simply
> from exposing the electrode wires to water? Please give some examples.
> Jeff Golin

Good point Jeff.
I was wondering the same thing.  I have seen many outside border tube
jobs that have no covering at all.  They seem to work fine.  I doubt
that that would be UL.  I have also seems no boots at all on channel
signs that were made for large chain stores.  Drip holes were in place
and no puddles of water were trapped in the sign.  Wasn't someone tell
us at one time that they saw a display using Masters products under
water?

Have a good one.

Howie

(L'shana Tova to those it applies)