[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- single trode xfrmr

> by using one end on the piece and a HV cap to ground on the
> other lead. Correct? Or, are you saying that somehow a HV cap
> will fix the ozone prob????

No, though I haven't had an ozone problem. I'm saying that I have gotten reliable
performance - using some scripters in the following unendorsed, not-to-code,
and likely not warranteed method:  HV to the single trode, G to a
hv cap with relatively large capacitance tied to ground.

But be prepared to burn them out at your expense. I think it would
not be right to expect a company to replace them when used this way.
While they are overload protected on the input line, I've still melted the coil
itself. Internal currents? Telford, what would cause white ooze to
come out of the flyback while not triggering thermal or current
protection?  Undesireable harmonics  is my guess. Once you've matched
your load correctly, it works.

High frequency powering, though interesting, is not a reliable
science.  It helps to understand that the hf tube is acting more like a
capacitor rather than its usual diac behavior at the lower 50-60hz.
The ionized gas itself is in effect a plate wrapped in a dielectric.

Kenny

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web