[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re: Transformer loading

>>>FROM:	Don Boniface, INTERNET:DBoniface_2@wow.com

Members, anyone familiar with STACO model 3PN1010 variable transfomers?
Input volts 115, Output 0-140 ,amps 10.kva 1.4. I was thinking of getting one
for flicker tests and can you use this as checking manual adjusting SS xtrans?
Any info good,bad, would be appreciated. Most of my neon are small window
signs.The latest postings on loading have peaked my interests in more accurate

Don,

Sounds like a good general purpose variac to me - should be fine for testing
regular (non-electronic) transformer loading (flicker test).  I don't think the
flicker test method is valid for solid-state electronic units however, as there
is not necessarily a linear relationship between input voltage and output
voltage.  Use either the manufacturer's procedure, if there is one, or adjust
the unit's variable control for the minimum acceptable light output from your
tube.  Always use all your senses with solid-state units - does it sound right
(not screaming in some painful multifrequency parasitic howl)? - does it feel
(temperature-wise) right? - does it smell (i assume you know that hot burning
electronic component smell) right? - does it look right (no smoke curling up
from the unit)? etc.

Regards,

Telford Dorr