[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- more pinhole suckins...

>I continue to get the suck-in returns from this particular shop in town.
>Probably the most common thread is that they are always under 4 ft.
>
>Someone try to explain this one to me, though.  Two days ago, I had one
>brought in for repair, a letter "U" with two double-backs, neon filled.
>They had used one shortie electrode with a ceramic collar and the other was
>a plain cylinder, standard size (sounds like a quality shop, eh).

Well, Tom it obviously IS a quality shop; I mean when they did put that one
electrode on it was a creamic collar electrode.

The
>plain cylinder electrode had *two* pinhole suck-ins right next to the front
>end of the electrode (not straight out from it, but right next to it).
>
>As closely as I can see, it appears that both holes had punctured through.
>Huh?  Could this happen simultaneously?  This is the first unit I've seen
>with the pinholes next to the electrode, not straight out from it as in

Could this have been influenced by excessive side discharge?  Many times I
see what I would refer to as sputtering to death: black around the outside
of the shell, plating, and right at the opening of the metal shell, there is
what looks like the glass has become 'crystalized' and cracked.  I think
from the tube leaking a little air in slowly and running very hot (esp. the
electrode) before it actually quits making light.
But I have never seen exactly what you are seeing.
Morgan