[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Building a loading meter

Hi Kenny,

>> Eric getting in two-cents worth again...

>And I'm still hoping someone can explain how to wire a midpoint
>grounded circuit with one of those secondary GFIs.

I wish I could.  So far, we've not been too happy with it ourselves.  Our
method for FP uses a capacitive plate in proximity to the secondary
terminals.  We measure leakage to ground.  Present midpoint methods
sometimes add too much leakage.  Even when transformers are loaded pretty
accurately.  We're messing around with some other technology but haven't
found an easy solution.

>One thing that puzzles me when I look at transformer prices and
>styles.  Something like the Allanson Uni-tran, of which I often used
>many, seems to be a more economical design yet the ceramic terminal
>style is cheaper.   It's not - when you take into consideration time and
>additional needed material - but the point is per unit, it is.  Is
>this because the 'frankenstein' style is more popular?

Huh???  Prices of Unitran models have come down a great deal in the last
couple of years.  You should easily be able to buy a Unitran for less than
the price of a transformer and galvanized box.  They've now been around for
7 years or so.  When they first came out, they were more expensive.

BTW...I love the name 'frankenstein'.  Can I credit you?

>Some other time, someone will have to explain why a hanger costs so
>much.

Hangers do cost a bit more.  Switches, cords, gto add more than taking out
the ceramics.  I also think that we trafo mfrs produce a lot fewer of them
so the economies of scale come into play a little bit.  I didn't forget I
promised to send you a couple to play with.  I'd wanted to use that as an
excuse to get by to see you.  Haven't been able to do that yet, so sample
request will be made up when I get off the line.

Best regards,

Eric.