[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- an easy question

Gary Nutting wrote:

> Okay everyone - here's the question.  A tube bender nailed me with this question
> today, and after not liking my guesstimated answer I promised to submit the
> scenario to the educated peers.  Without taking into effect the termination
> theory of Dirk which might prevail in this case, or taking into account the
> questionable pumping, bombarding which is a concern --- here goes -- will
> electronic transformers cause mercury tubes to stain.  The bender did a job
> outside using core and coil transformers -- no staining.  The interior around
> windows was done, mercury tubes, using electronic transformers.  Accordingly
> all the interior "stained".  Supposedly, over a foot in length coming from both
> electrodes, and in some cases, the entire tube.  When questioned as far as
> staining or dimming, she swears it's staining.  The transformers in question
> are Bertonee, and since I don't happen to prefer that brand --------.  So guys,
> and gals, give a guess ----- keep it simple and straightforward ----so I can
> explain your answers to her.  If it so happens that your answers agree with mine -
> then I can just call and say I was right.  My guess was to "send for the terminator".  ha.
> Thanks
> Gary L. Nutting
> Neon Products of Phoenix

Hi Gary,  I would like to give your question a shot.  Maybe I will win
an all expense paid trip to Hawaii.  :->

Could it be mercury migration?  I thought that that may have been the
case until you said it is coming from both ends.  I have seen a case of
mercury in the "Kwik Kopy" window sign.  The 6 foot border around the
9mm red double stroke lettering was totally out (except for about an
inch at one electrode).  I offered to make the tube new for the
customer.  Just for kicks, I put the border on my 15k60ma and the entire
tube came up to full brightness.  Here was an example mercury migration
where the fix was a core and coil transformer.

I am curious what others will say.

Take it easy...

Howie

Follow-Ups: References: